Who We Are
Character.org is a national advocate and leader for the character education movement. Based in Washington, DC, we are a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nonsectarian coalition of organizations and individuals committed to fostering effective character education in our nation’s schools.
We are an umbrella organization for character education, serving as the leading resource for people and organizations that are integrating character education into their schools and communities.
Young people everywhere who are educated, inspired and empowered to be ethical and engaged citizens.
Providing the vision, leadership and resources for schools, families and communities to develop ethical citizens committed to building a just and caring world.
What We Do
Character.org focuses on defining and encouraging effective practices and approaches to quality character education and provides a forum for the exchange of ideas. We offer:
- A tool for evaluating effective character education, Eleven Principles of Effective Character Education
- Professional development for educators and administrators focusing on school-wide systemic change
- An annual conference – the National Forum on Character Education
- A school improvement process for schools or districts through our Schools of Character program
- Resources, including our annual National Schools of Character publication