Who We Are
Character.org is a national advocate and leader for the character education movement. Based in Washington, DC, we are a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nonsectarian coalition of organizations and individuals committed to fostering effective character education in our nation’s schools.
We are an umbrella organization for character education, serving as the leading resource for people and organizations that are integrating character education into their schools and communities.
Character.org’s membership includes the nation’s leading education organizations, and its board of directors is made up of corporate leaders and experts in the field of character education. For example, cofounder and Chairman Emeritus, Sandy McDonnell, passed away on March 19, 2012 but his legacy lives on. Leave a message on our blog about him if you feel compelled.
What We Do
Character.org focuses on defining and encouraging effective practices and approaches to quality character education and provides a forum for the exchange of ideas. We offer:
- A tool for evaluating effective character education, Eleven Principles of Effective Character Education
- Professional development for school teachers and administrators focusing on school-wide systemic change
- An annual conference – the National Forum on Character Education
- A school improvement process for schools or districts through our Schools of Character program
- Resources, including our annual publication, National Schools of Character: Award-Winning Practices