Director of Development
The Director of Development, in conjunction with the leadership of Character.org, develops a sustainable and growing support base for the mission of the organization. This person creates and communicates the organization case for support and builds relationships around the mission.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute strategies for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding all segments of donors (Foundations, corporations, individuals);
- Research prospective major donors and funding opportunities;
- Leverage the resources internally to develop major gifts program;
- Develop and oversee all giving campaigns: annual fund, major gifts, planned gifts, etc.;
- Oversee staff and volunteer development efforts;
- Develop annual development plan around annual budget goals;
- Engage and educate board to assist in achieving annual budget goals;
- Maintain compliance with IRS standards for contributed support and educate staff and board, accordingly;
- Create annual case for support;
- Develop appropriate marketing materials to be used for campaigns and appeals, per segmented strategy;
- Oversee the donor database to cultivate relationships, set strategies and monitor effectiveness;
- Oversee all funding proposals and marketing
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Master’s degree preferred;
- 5+ years of proven experience in the field of fund development;
- Demonstrated success in achieving increased giving year over year;
- Experience and proven success in annual giving, major gifts, and foundation funding;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to move multiple projects forward simultaneously;
- Ability to work collaboratively in team settings;
- Calm approach in high pressure situations. Comfortable with deadline-driven responsibilities;
- Highly relational, with outstanding listening and questioning skills;
- Extremely ethical and sensitive to confidential information.
Other Related Skills:
- A strong interest in education or character development;
- A strategist who is adept at planning, organizing and following through;
- An independent worker and self-starter;
- A facilitator, collaborator, and coordinator with outstanding leadership abilities and interpersonal skills and an excellent problem-solver;
- An individual with credibility, good judgment, honesty, integrity, trust, and the ability to motivate others in a similar vein;
- Team-focused—must enjoy and be successful at working on teams and able to roll up ones sleeves and make things happen as an individual;
- A person who presents a high degree of maturity, self-confidence and flexibility;
• A good sense of humor; and
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software preferred.
- College degree with prior related experience, master’s degree and/or degree in education a plus;
- Additional training in fundraising and development
- Reports to President and CEO;
- The agreed upon job description;
- The policies and ethical guidelines of fundraising profession
Interested candidates should email a resume and a cover letter explaining their interest and qualifications to Becky Sipos at Becky@character.org.
Salaries & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits are established within Character.org’s employee guidelines and include a 403b match and healthcare supplement.
Volunteers and Interns
Volunteer and intern responsibilities will include writing, marketing, event planning, project managing, and most important, learning. Duties can be tailored to the strengths of the individual that match the needs of Character.org. Although these are unpaid positions, we offer great satisfaction in supporting our transformational mission. Please direct any inquires to firstname.lastname@example.org.