This lesson is written in a mini-lesson format which consists of the following components. The teaching point of Kindness begins with being kind to ourselves guides the lesson. The teacher begins with a connection, connecting text to real life with the book Those Shoes. Next the teacher teaches a five minute lesson on the teaching point of kindness. The students are then involved in active engagement by turning and talking to their partners. The lesson ends with a link reminding students that kindness begins with themselves.
Students will make a text to life connection with Those Shoes.
- Teacher brings all students to the gathering area.
- Students are assigned partners for turn and talk.
- Teacher begins the mini-lesson by making a connection to the book and kindness.
- Teacher teaches the teaching point through an example.
- Teacher has students turn and talk with their partner to reflect on a time they were feeling bad or disappointed in themselves.
- The teacher then links the lesson to being kind to yourself every day.
Extensions and Adaptations
Brainstorm ways on how to show kindness in their school or community.