State sponsors agree to:
- Publicize the State Schools of Character/National Schools of Character program in their states which may include contacting schools and encouraging them to enter the process
- Assist schools as they go through the State Schools of Character/National Schools of Character application and school improvement process
- Review applications and provide feedback and select state schools of character, sending these applications to the national level
- Recognize winners and encourage them to take on leadership roles in their states
State sponsors may also provide technical assistance and mentoring to schools as they work to improve their character development initiatives and as they compile their State Schools of Character/National Schools of Character applications. Many sponsors provide resources and support to schools and educators interested in character education.
The organizations that sponsor the State Schools of Character program differ in each state. The most common types of sponsoring organizations are:
- University departments of education, extension offices, or character development centers
- State departments of education
- Foundations with an interest in service, character, and youth development
- Regional character councils
- School districts with a strong history of character development
- Character education organizations and nonprofits
Sometimes several organizations will partner to sponsor the program. In other cases, networks of volunteers and educators create alliances that manage the program and support schools.
State coordinators serve as the point of contact for the sponsoring organization or group of partner organizations within each state.
State sponsors receive modest start-up funds to begin their programs as well as ongoing training and resources from Character.org.
Are you a possible state coordinator? Would your organization like to sponsor a State Schools of Character Program in your state?
- Contact Sheril Morgan, Schools of Character Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.