Academic Integrity PSA Program
Made possible by a grant from The School for Ethical Education
“[This program] not only provides an opportunity to think about integrity, but how they want to deliver that message….The interpersonal skills developed while producing a video are extremely valuable.”
Teacher, Wilbur Cross High School, New Haven, CT
The Academic Integrity PSA program is an opportunity for high school students across the world to create their own message about the importance of academic integrity, honesty, and ethics in action.
The PSA should focus on the positive benefits of academic integrity rather than the negative consequences associated with cheating.
The Academic Integrity PSA program is now open for submissions. The program is available to all students in high schools across the world.
We welcome your videos! Please submit your work by April 15, 2022.
• All video creators will be recognized by Character.org. Students are encouraged to participate as a class, club, or small team.
• Registrations should be sponsored by a school faculty member or a recognized school club adviser. If you do not have a school sponsor, please contact [email protected] for information about submitting your work.
• When PSAs are submitted, the creators acknowledge and give permission for Character.org to share their work with other schools as well as on social media channels.
• PLEASE NOTE: In addition to sharing your PSA on social media, your team is encouraged to share your video for broadcast within your school community via the school television network, assembly, or the school website.
• Student groups are encouraged to share their completed PSAs on social media and link to Character.org.
• All content should be positive and appropriate for middle school and high school students.
Three (3) videos from these categories will be recognized:
- Submission deadline: April 15, 2022
- Maximum file size: 25 MB
- PSA length: 30-60 seconds
- Video credits: Your video should acknowledge all students that helped to make your PSA possible (Please ensure that the list of all participants is also included in the submission form.)
- File name: Please name your file PSA Title – School Name and Location.
EXAMPLE: Do Unto Others – Central HS Evans Township
- Open to all high school students
- There is no cost to participate
- All submissions will be accepted via the online form. Please register and submit your video here. After you submit your work, you will receive a confirmation email to save for your records. If you require proof of submission, please be sure to print or otherwise save a copy of the confirmation email you receive.
What are the judges looking for in the PSAs they view?
• Your PSA should clearly express the importance of academic integrity and one or more of the core values that animate integrity, such as honesty, courage, respect, trust, responsibility or fairness. The viewer should be able to grasp and understand how one or more of these values connect to practicing academic integrity.
• Your PSA should not focus on the negative consequences; rather, the video should emphasize the core values needed to practice academic integrity.
• The PSA articulates the values of academic integrity in an innovative and unique way. The PSA is entertaining. A viewer would want to share the video with others.
• The PSA makes sense and follows a logical outline. It tells a clear story or narrative that supports the importance of academic integrity.
• The PSA is produced with thought and care. The shots are well composed and in focus. The audio is clean and understandable. The PSA is broadcast quality.
• Submissions must be original work. Do not repurpose work produced by others (i.e., video clips created by someone else).
Character.org is planning to share these PSA videos on our platforms. We will also make videos available for viewing at schools in the Schools of Character network.
Tips for Teachers: Benefits to Students for Writing and Filming an Academic Integrity PSA
• Provides students an opportunity to share their voice and perspective on the values needed to practice academic integrity.
• Offers students a creative opportunity to share their voice and perspective on academic integrity to a wide range of audiences (within their own school, district, and schools across the world)
• Encourages dialogue among peers, educators, and the school community about academic integrity.
• Offers authentic learning: a real-world experience that includes collaborative project work.
• Promotes ethics in action.
For any questions about the Academic Integrity PSA program, please contact Dr. Debra Cohen at Character.org.